What can I do?
Everyone – individuals, families, small businesses, corporations, and large institutions – can help support the local economy by committing to buying more local products and services.
- Assess your current spending habits. For a week, track where your money goes. What percentage was spent at local businesses?
- Commit to a shift. Even small amounts can make a difference. Based on your assessment, pledge to shift just 10% of your spending to support the local economy.
- Think local first. We’re not suggesting that 100% of your purchases should be made at local businesses. But when you’re making a purchase, consider your local options first. Is the business located in Rhode Island? Is it independently owned and locally controlled? Does it use local sources?
- Know your options. Chances are we have it here! There is a lot more available in Rhode Island than you might think. Visit Buy Local RI for a directory.
- Think beyond your personal spending. Can an organization or business you’re involved with shift a portion of its spending?
- Spread the message. Encourage your family, friends, and coworkers to buy local. Tell the world why you buy local on social media using @BuyLocalRI and add the Buy Local RI Badge or banner to your newsletter and your website.